Foochew Red Wine Dregs Chicken (福州红糟鸡) is one of the common confinement food which many women will take in Asia, especially Singapore, Malaysia or China. This confinement dish recipe not only tastes delicious, it is also nourishing for the new mothers. White protein (chicken) is more easily absorb by the body and known for being nutritious to build the body. Red wine dregs (红糟 or ‘fermented rice residue’) is good for blood circulation and strengthening the spleen and replenishing qi.
Benefits: For those who are trying to build their health, scare of cold temperature, fatigue, PMS, irregular menstruation, anemia, strengthening the spleen and replenishing qi and so on; popular dish during confinement
- 1 whole kampong chicken (chopped into desired sizes)
- 1 old ginger (老姜) (thin slices)
- Sesame oil for frying
- 4 tbsp Red wine dregs (红糟)
- 3 tbsp light soya sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 cup of water (depending on your chicken size)
1) Increase heat to high. Heat up the sesame oil and fry the ginger till fragrant.
2) Add chicken and stir-fry till heated through and wok is on high heat.
3) Add in 2 tbsp of red wine dregs. Stir till absorbed.
Add other seasoning. Stir till absorbed again.
Add in rest of red wine and enough water to just cover the chicken.
Bring to a boil.
4) Cover and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes. Serve this dish while it’s hot.
Cook this dish for your friend during her confinement period. Surprise her with this easy to cook dish. Husbands can try cooking this dish for your wife too! I’m sure she appreciates your gesture.